Hi, I'm a 24 year old Long Island raised lady who became a grown adult (aka: 6 years for undergrad and grad schooling) in Philly, home of squished pretzels and 'brotherly' love. I've traveled over the northeast coast and even once to the Midwest for clinical rotations. I'm finishing my final one back in good ole' Philly this summer. I'm on the track to finish my Doctorate in Physical Therapy degree and then take my licensure test this fall.
I'm known to geek over anything anatomy or adaptive sports. You’ll find me stopping to pick flowers for my hair, living waist deep in my studies or spending the weekend cooking up a storm.
I'm an Aries and ENFJ by nature.
My favorites are fruit, artsy things, wearing aprons and sprawling down on the ground instead of actual chairs.
This is my place of inspirations, thoughts, and daily occurrences. Enjoy.
The Dish on this Past Weekend
Bacon Corn Chowder: Huge batch in one pot? Allowed to work out its simmer with some cayenne and a good chunk of Old Bay? I’m done for that. As a heads up, I made this gluten free by using cornstarch instead of flour (it thickened it up a bit more too). I always use turkey bacon too because I don’t eat pig products. Recipe here.
Pineapple Mint Gin Punch: This was the perfect summer sipper the last weekend in august. I shared this one with my housemates, we all approved - a lot. Recipe here.
Pumpkin Protein Buckwheat Bake x 2: This was the first thing I made in my new ‘1 month home’ today. It made the kitchen smell lovely! Recipe here.
Besides these, I held back on my cooking. I was moving into my new housing situation. But my Father brought me a batch of gluten free baked clams from Long Island he caught last week. Plus I ate at a lovely, polish/americana themed cafe called Porta and then had a stellar local mushroom sald (with melted fontina and perfectly mixed with a lemon thyme vinagerette) at Birra. I will miss South Philly.
The Dish on this past Week
So we had a ‘fifth’ person finally move back into our shared house. However, I couldn’t surrender any of my fridge space (1 shelf, 1 drawer, and a select few spots on the door side shelves). Sorry ladies & gents, for someone who cooks 95% of what they eat, I do need that space for food!
Well, if I think of it - I’m actually not sorry. That’s just the way it is.
- Escarole &Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing: Don’t be scared by the little fish from the can. This was seriously a perfect combo of sweet roasted broccoli, salty anchovy and bitter cheese all with fresh escarole. Plus, anchovies are packed with protein - more so than tuna or salmon. Hey muscle food! Recipe here.
- Yellow Wax Bean & Radish Salad with Cannelinnis: I had string beans and white beans. Get the rest and get toss ‘em all together - happy vegetarian/vegan main meal! Recipe here.
- Bacon Quinoa with Almonds and Herbs: This is written up as a ‘sturdy side’, but for me it works as one hell of a hearty main dish. Recipe here.
- Eggplant Involitini with Grilled Ratatouille: I get emailed recipes from Food&Wine magainze 5x a week. Ideas like these strike me as wonderful and they happen the following weekend :) Recipe here.
- White Bean, Pepper Potato Burgers with Rosemary & Basil: I still had lots of white beans - so this happened. They were such a beautiful pop of colors to watch mix together in a bowl. Hello vegetarian/vegan meal 2 :) Recipe here.
- Overnight Buckwheat Cashew Parfait: Substituting is great. I didn’t have raspberries and a pear, so I rendered down some cherries and apple. Happy breakfast! Recipe here.
- Buckwheat Bake - Cherry Cocoa with Protein Powder: x 2, so I am set for the week.
The Dish on this Week
My fingers are currently BURNING after chopping up serrano and chilli peppers. YOWZA.
- Cherry Cocoa Smoothie: Cherry and Cocoa is truly a lovely combo. 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened sweet cherries (not thawed), 1/2 cup sugar free vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup nonfat milk, 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, 4 ice cubes, 1 tsp. honey,
- Buckwheat Bake, Apple Spice: PROTEIN BREAKFAST POWER. There will be many of these to come =] Recipe here.
- Baked Beets: Drizzle in olive oil, cover in foil and bake at 4000 for 60 minutes. Cool. Automatically pull the skin off and slice. Eat happily throughout week.
- Salted Bourbon Vanilla Granola: Oh my sweet Mary & Joseph Yes. Bourbon, butter and vanilla with roasted figs? Umph. Recipe here.
- Simple Mackerel (or Cod) with Chilli, Garlic & Lemon: Add some potatoes or salad on the side. Simple, healthy lunch or dinner DONE. Recipe here.
- Roasted Vegetable & Chickpea Bowl with Cilantro Cashew Cream: Swap out or in any vegetables honestly and this will still work out since the cashew cream is so AWESOME. Recipe here.
- Zero Carb Spinach Protein Bread: This had protein powder, egg whites and spinach only in it. Fryed up on a griddle and toppings made to choice. It’s a quickie that works for protein and annihilating carbs. I may try chopping up the spinach finely next time (which the recipe doesn’t detail or call for). Recipe here.